Welcome!

As a survivor of abuse and trauma, I understand how difficult life can be at times. I hope that you will learn new ways of coping each day, so that life becomes not just a way to survive, but an opportunity to thrive!


AMONG the ASHES will be available November 19!

My mystery, Among the Ashes, will be available November 19, 2011 in paperback and e-book versions. It tells a suspenseful story about a young woman who struggles to understand why she suffers from the anxiety and depression that go along with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). For more information, visit www.cheryldenton.com.


Friday, February 18, 2011

Unforgiveness is a Pride Issue

We continue today with our series, Removing the Roadblocks to Forgiveness, with a lesson about pride. This is the seventh out of nine roadblocks that we will cover.

Excessive pride is a tell-tale sign of an unforgiving spirit.
When we encounter people who are very prideful, we can quickly seee that they suffer from unforgiveness. If we criticize them, they lash out at us and deny any wrong-doing. They may even turn the tables on us and criticize us.

In my opinion, people with excessive pride have often been deeply wounded in the past by someone they trusted. They have never learned humility, because they are terrified of getting hurt again. By seeing themselves as superior to everyone else, they come to the mistaken conclusion that they are invincible. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Proverbs 16:18 (NIV) reminds us, Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. We can see by this Scripture reference that pride does not make us invincible. In fact, the opposite is true: it makes us vulnerable to destruction.

Pride becomes a wall around a person that does not allow others to get close. It's a very high wall that can even keep God at a distance. The wall must come down before forgiveness can take place.

Prideful people see others as inferior.
When we consider the person who has hurt us, we may often think that we are better than he is. After all, we say in our own defense, he's the one who sinned and needs to be punished. I was just the victim. This kind of thinking gets us into a lot of trouble.

Matthew 7:1-2 reads, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." In other words, when we judge our perpetrators, we put ourselves into a position to receive equal punishment.

Pride harms our health.
We learned in earlier lessons that anger and vengeful thinking can cause increases in our blood pressure, heart rate, cortisol levels, and cholesterol readings. Believing that we are superior to our perpetrators can also damage our health.

Pride harms our relationship with God.
If we are living with a prideful attitude toward someone who has hurt us, we are limiting our spiritual connection to God. There is no room for spiritual growth in a heart that is swelled with pride.

The bottom line about pride is this: it sends the message that we are rejecting God. How can we say that we have a close relationship to God when we refuse to forgive others? How can we love him if we see ourselves as superior to everyone else, including our Maker? As long as pride remains, our spiritual future looks pretty dim.

Luke 5:8(NIV) provides us with an excellent example of humility in the apostle Peter. As it became apparent to him that Jesus was the Son of God, he was terrified. The passage reads, When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” When we discover humility like this, we will find ways to forgive others who hurt us.

We are accountable for our own actions.
I met a man yesterday who believes that revenge is a good thing, because it makes him feel satisfied to know that his perpetrator is suffering. This is clearly sinful behavior, because God calls us to love one another, not to torment our neighbor through harmful thoughts and actions.

While we may feel justified in wanting to harm people who hurt us, we learned yesterday that justice is God's job, not ours. We are responsible for judging ourselves, not our perpetrators. They are going to be held accountable under our man-made laws and under God's laws for the wrongs they have committed. At the same time, we will be held accountable to God for our failure to see ourselves as sinners who are no better than our perpetrators.

We all deserve the death penalty.
Romans 3:23 (NIV) reads, For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We are all sinners in this world. Not one person has ever been perfect, except for Jesus. If we believe that we are perfect, or even superior to others, we are sinners equal with our perpetrators.

Romans 6:23 (NIV) reminds us, For the wages of sin is death. In other words, we all deserve to die for our sinful actions. But because God loves us so much, he sent Jesus as a one-time sacrifice for everyone's sins (Romans 5:8).

We must judge ourselves first, before God gets the opportunity. Surrendering before him in a spirit of humility and fearful respect is imperative if we want to lose our prideful attitudes and learn to forgive.

Next Tuesday, my father will receive his sentence for just one of several crimes involving children whom he molested. I have thought about how he will feel when the judge tells my father how long he must stay in jail. What if I were standing before that judge? I would be terrified and want someone to take my place, if that were possible.

While my father may not be able to escape the punishment of our judicial system, he can avoid eternal punishment by surrendering himself in humility before Christ. I can do the same by coming to the understanding that I am no better than my father.

Some day, we will both stand before Jesus to be judged. It has taken me a long time to admit this, but I'm no better than my father. My sins are just different. Harboring anger, fears, lack of trust, revenge, pride, and hatred for my father could lead to a death sentence for me. Living with those feelings, in my opinion, is equivalent to hell on earth.

On Monday, we will learn how to remove the pride that hinders our spiritual growth. We will finish out next week with discussions about how hatred and depression stand as roadblocks to forgiveness.

Today's Challenge
Take out your journal. Write God at the top of a clean page. Write the names of everyone who has hurt you below that. Write your name last. Recognize that you are no better than all of the people named above. Our omnipotent God sees everyone clearly through the eyes of love, and he discovers the truth about us by looking into each person's heart.

3 comments:

  1. You are right Cheryl. I know this is the key, but I'm having a struggle giving up my pride. I will keep persevering until I get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this article. I have been deeply wounded in my past, and recently pride and naughtiness has become an issue in my interactions with a difficult coworker, and challenging customers as well. I've confessed my sin, and done my best to be honest with God, but I have to wonder if I am going to be renected, because He hates Pride.

    ReplyDelete