Welcome!

As a survivor of abuse and trauma, I understand how difficult life can be at times. I hope that you will learn new ways of coping each day, so that life becomes not just a way to survive, but an opportunity to thrive!


AMONG the ASHES will be available November 19!

My mystery, Among the Ashes, will be available November 19, 2011 in paperback and e-book versions. It tells a suspenseful story about a young woman who struggles to understand why she suffers from the anxiety and depression that go along with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). For more information, visit www.cheryldenton.com.


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Rewards of Faithfulness

We continue with our series, Thriving in God's Garden, which is based on Galatians 5:22. Today, I would like to touch upon the rewards which we receive when we are faithful.

Well done!
God has designed each of us with a specific purpose and placed us here on earth to fulfill his plans for us. When we carry out his plans in a responsible way, God rewards us with greater responsiblities.

Matthew 25:21 (NIV) reads, "...Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!"

This passage comes from a story about three servants. The first was faithful in earning a great deal of interest on his master's money. The second servant earned slightly less, and the third one buried his master's money because he was fearful. The money earned no interest, and the servant's fearful behavior earned him an upbraiding.

Fearfulness thwarts faithfulness.
As survivors of abuse and trauma, we frequently miss out on the blessings that God wants to give us. Often, fearfulness holds us back from faithfully using the unique gifts that God has given us.

For many years, a fear of writing the truth about childhood sexual abuse and domestic violence paralyzed me as an author. Creating this blog was a terrifying undertaking. I felt certain that something dreadful would happen to me within minutes of posting my first article.

Faithfulness in small things brings great rewards.
To my surprise, readers began sending me encouraging comments. Many of them urged me to keep writing, because they found my posts so helpful. The feedback showed me that if I remained silent, many people would miss out on the wisdom I had gained over the years. Today, I find writing about abuse and trauma very easy, and I don't self-censor as I used to do.

I took a step of faith and began with my blog. After nearly a year of faithfully writing, God has rewarded me with an even greater task. Soon, my first novel about a woman suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder will be available online, as well as in bookstores. Among the Ashes is the result of many years of self-discovery, both as a survivor and an author.

Take a baby step.
Everyone must start out in their careers or areas of volunteer work with baby steps. Whether we aspire to become a respected leader in our community, an accomplished author, or President of the United States; we all start out the same way. Small tasks, carried out faithfully, will earn us the privilege of sharing in God's bigger tasks.

Today's Challenge
Why are you here? Are you fulfilling God's purpose for your life? If you know what that purpose is and you're not using it, how can you activate your talents? If fear is holding you back, start with something small. Volunteer at a church, school, community group, or medical center. Take on something easy and faithfully carry out your tasks. In time, God will reward you with greater responsibilities that will help you fulfill your purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment