Welcome!

As a survivor of abuse and trauma, I understand how difficult life can be at times. I hope that you will learn new ways of coping each day, so that life becomes not just a way to survive, but an opportunity to thrive!


AMONG the ASHES will be available November 19!

My mystery, Among the Ashes, will be available November 19, 2011 in paperback and e-book versions. It tells a suspenseful story about a young woman who struggles to understand why she suffers from the anxiety and depression that go along with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). For more information, visit www.cheryldenton.com.


Friday, July 8, 2011

Who Does Your Home Say You Are?

As survivors of abuse and trauma, we are learning how to become more bold during my series, Confident in God's Hands. Yesterday, we considered how we express our personalities through our clothing. Today, I'd like to address personality expression in our homes and work places.

What does our environment tell others about us?
If our houses haven't been cleaned in years, and we have papers and boxes stacked up to the ceiling and in every corner, people get a definite impression about us. They may come to the conclusion that we're hoarders, or think that we're lazy, or perhaps understand that depression may make it difficult for us to get our homes in order.

I just finished talking with a cleaning woman about working for me. Whenever a professional like this comes into my house, I wonder what she thinks about me as a homemaker. How do I stack up against all of the other home owners that she serves? Can she see beyond the clutter and dust that I do care about how my home appears?

If someone walked into your house unexpectedly right now, would you feel embarrassed or confident? If your supervisor walked into your work zone without warning, would you be frantically trying to tidy up, or would you greet him confidently?

If the way we care for our homes or work spaces shames us, we must take measures to change things. In every area of our lives, our confidence can take a hit, without our even realizing it. Creating simplicity and tidy systems of organization at home and at work can really boost our self-esteem.

God's house reveals his personality.
Bible verses and people who have had near-death experiences tell us a lot about God's home for us in heaven. The streets are paved with gold, and there is a mansion there with many rooms. Heaven's residents are at peace, and beautiful music can be heard everywhere.

Psalm 26:8 (MSG) reads, God, I love living with you; your house glows with your glory. As a believer in Christ, I know that God's home here on earth is within our hearts. But when I look around my house, I frequently wonder how Jesus would feel if he stopped by for lunch. I am fairly confident that he feels at ease within my heart most of the time, but does my environment give him reason to say that he loves living with me?

Today's Challenge
Look at your home and your work space through another's eyes. What do these places say about you? Is it time to hire someone to help you de-clutter and keep things clean? If you can't afford help, ask a friend to work together with you every week or so for an hour or two until you get your environment to express the true you.

No comments:

Post a Comment