Welcome!

As a survivor of abuse and trauma, I understand how difficult life can be at times. I hope that you will learn new ways of coping each day, so that life becomes not just a way to survive, but an opportunity to thrive!


AMONG the ASHES will be available November 19!

My mystery, Among the Ashes, will be available November 19, 2011 in paperback and e-book versions. It tells a suspenseful story about a young woman who struggles to understand why she suffers from the anxiety and depression that go along with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). For more information, visit www.cheryldenton.com.


Monday, June 6, 2011

Are You Suffering From PTSD?

We continue this week with my series, Confident in God's Hands. The purpose of this journey is to help readers identify why they lack self-esteem, and then to equip them to grow more confident. Last week, we took a look at anxiety and considered how extreme fears may be robbing us of the joy we would like to experience. Today, I would like to address the signs and symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

What causes PTSD?
Any trauma can cause a person to develop PTSD, but not everyone ends up with this disorder. Childhood sexual abuse, rape, domestic violence, auto accidents, natural disasters, and war can all trigger PTSD. The illness can be accompanied by depression, substance abuse, or anxiety disorders.

When do symptoms of PTSD begin?
The symptoms of PTSD usually begin within three months of the trauma. However, some people don't exhibit them until years later. Sometimes PTSD is misdiagnosed as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), generalized anxiety disorder, or depression.

I wasn't diagnosed with PTSD until I was in my late thirties, nearly three decades after the first traumatic event occurred. At first, I was misdiagnosed with ADHD and depression. It wasn't until several years later that a psychologist well-versed in diagnosing PTSD figured it out.

What are the symptoms of PTSD?
In order to be diagnosed with PTSD, a group of some of the following symptoms must be present for at least one month. They include:

-exaggerated startle response
-loss of interest in usual activities
-trouble feeling affectionate
-irritability
-aggression
-violent outbursts
-flashbacks (reliving the trauma during the day)
-nightmares (dreaming about the trauma whenever sleeping)
-feeling emotionally numb, particularly with people who were once close
-avoiding situations which are similar to the trauma
-struggling with the anniversary of the trauma

My experiences with PTSD
If you interrupt me while I'm engrossed in something, you can clearly see what an exaggerated startle response looks like. Joe knows better than to sneak up behind me and tickle me. If he does inadvertently startle me, my heart pounds, my hands shake, and I feel as if I'm about to faint or throw up. For several hours afterward, I feel completely wiped out.

I have frequent flashbacks during the day, particularly if I'm doing something mindless, such as driving or washing dishes. Something inconsequential, such as the scent of the dish liquid, can trigger a flashback. My mind replays the traumatic event, and eventually I come back to present day with a sense that I've lost a chunk of time.

At night, my mind works overtime to warn me of dangers which are no longer present. I dream about the people who traumatized me in situations where I felt little or no control. Generally, I wake up feeling very helpless and depressed, and I have to remind myself that the dreams are not real.

What is the outlook for people with PTSD?
The course of PTSD varies. Some people recover within six months, while others have symptoms that last much longer. In some people, the condition becomes chronic.

Receiving a diagnosis of PTSD isn't all bad. For me, it was a relief to understand that there was an underlying cause to the exaggerated startle response, depression, chronic flashbacks, and nightmares. Knowing what the problem was gave me the opportunity to work at getting better. Medication combined with extensive psychotherapy helped considerably.

I am much better today than I was ten years ago. And I anticipate that I will continue to improve with time. I believe the outlook is quite promising, provided we get appropriate treatment.

Today's Challenge
Are you suffering from exaggerated startle responses, loss of interest in your usual activities, trouble feeling affectionate, irritability, aggression, violent outbursts, flashbacks, or nightmares? Do you feel emotionally numb? Are you avoiding situations that remind you of a traumatic incident? Is the anniversary of the trauma still bothering you? If you answered yes to a number of these questions, you may want to consider seeking the help of a professional counselor. There is hope for recovery from PTSD, but it is important to get some support for it.

All things are possible with God. (Mark 10:27 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment